||Director of Transportation
The Bus Driver is responsible for ensuring the health, safety, and welfare of the children, staff, and volunteers during bus transportation to and from the school and on field trips.
McDonogh School offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefit package.
- Ensures the safety and well-being of children and adults being transported to and from the school and on other school sponsored trips
- Completes a comprehensive written inspection of the bus daily, reporting any conditions of concern to the Transportation Director or delegated staff person before transporting children
- Ensures that the communication device (2 way radion/cellular phone) is in proper working order before each trip
- Arranges for and ensures the completion of routine maintenance of the bus (oil change, etc)
- Ensures that the bus has sufficient fuel
- Working with the Transportation Director, develops and follows efficient and safe written bus routes
- Ensures that safety and legal regulations are always followed while operating the bus; reports any traffic violations to the Transportation Director immediately
- Follows safe bus loading and unloading procedures
- Ensures that there aren't children left on the bus without adult supervision at any time. Inspects bus following all trips to verify that all children have departed the bus
- Folllows bus cleaning procedures, keeps the bus free of debris
- Routinely inventories bus emergency and first aid supplies and equipment. Reports any supply needs to the Transportation Director or other delegated staff person
- Delivers messages and other items to and from parents
- Prepares children for bus drills. Ensures that bus evacuation drills are held safely
- In case of accident/emergency, evacuates children according to written and practiced procedures
- In the event of an accident, assures that medical emergency procedures are followed. Completes a written accident report as required by legal and/or other authorities, and for insurance purposes
- Performs other duties as assigned
Recommended Employment Qualifications
CDL Training . High School Diploma or Equivalent.
- A positive and joyful disposition
- Ability to effectively communicate and work with adults and students
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions
- CPR and First Aid
- Must have proven problem solving skills, be self-motivated, and adaptable
- Must have strong attention to safety details
- 2-3 years of experience is preferred
- All McDonogh employees should uphold the School's mission and philosophy, and demonstrate the School's core character values.
- Experience successfully working with a culturally diverse staff & community also required.
- Must be able to comply with background check, including finger prints, as required by the agency and / or state regulations.
- Must have required valid licensure to drive assigned vehicles (CDL, etc)
- Must possess personal qualifications as required, flexibility, patience, good personal hygiene and physical and mental health that do not interfere with responsibilities.
Driving in various travel situations, including severe weather occasionally. Evening, weekend, and Holiday hours may be required. Lifting and carrying of equipment up to 50 pounds may be required. Random drug testing as required by state law for transportation employees. Reaching, grasping. Sitting. Working in humid conditions. Working in outside weather conditions. Working with extreme noise levels. Working with large numbers of students in small spaces.
Any questions you may have regarding this position can also be directed to Janet Graham, Human Resources Manager, at 443-544-7060 or firstname.lastname@example.org.