McDonogh has a long history of parent volunteerism. In 1923, when the school was 50 years old, parents founded “The Mother’s Club” primarily to raise money for school necessities. Dues were $1 a year. The group bought McDonogh its first school bus, in fact, in 1924.
The Mother’s Club became “The Patrons’ Club” in 1931, which was the same year the club’s first male president took office. The name “Patron” reflected the days when McDonogh enrolled orphans and half-orphans and sponsors paid for their education. McDonogh Patrons remained mostly a fundraising organization until recent years.
The word “Club” was dropped in 2004. After all, Patrons was not a club to which one could belong. Every parent of a McDonogh student was considered part of the Patrons group.
Since fundraising is no longer a primary goal, the mission statement has been revised to reflect that. At the same time, our board of directors voted to change our name to “The McDonogh Parents Association,” which we feel more accurately reflects our identity.
Our mission statement describes our desire to create a warm, friendly, and inclusive atmosphere within the McDonogh community. It also serves as a complement to the school’s mission statement, which includes the directive of school founder John McDonogh “to do the greatest possible amount of good.”