McDonogh’s Philosophy on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
McDonogh School is a tapestry of diversity in all of its forms—race and ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, and socio-economic status, to name a few. This diversity enriches our perspectives and makes us stronger, but it is just the starting point.
Our Board of Trustees, administration, faculty, and staff are committed to continuing to diversify our community while simultaneously sustaining and enhancing an inclusive environment where each member of the McDonogh family is heard and valued. We accomplish this by supporting a sense of belonging through a culture of dignity and respect.
We are dedicated to being a school where students are affirmed for who they are—where they learn the importance of having empathy for those who are different and seek ways to better understand themselves and the world around them. We do this through LifeReady, our academic philosophy, which enacts the kind of critical thinking and collaboration students will need to work and thrive across lines of difference throughout their lives.
As proponents of lifelong learning, we embrace the idea that true commitment to equity and inclusion is a continuous journey of action, reflection, and recommitment. It requires humility, perseverance, and truth-telling. McDonogh is ever ready for this journey.
Pledge to Excellence in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
McDonogh is dedicated to being a truly diverse and inclusive community.
- We pledge to continuously engage in reflective practices to ensure that our community remains equitable and inclusive for all.
- We pledge to create a learning environment that is affirming for all of our students. Likewise, we pledge to create a work environment that is affirming for all of our faculty and staff.
- We pledge, through our LifeReady academic philosophy, to equip our students with the knowledge, will, and skill to be agents of positive change and civic engagement.
- We pledge to ensure that our faculty and staff continue to grow and develop their ability to create equitable, inclusive, and transformative learning environments through school-based professional development and other professional learning opportunities.
- We pledge to build a community where the equal worth and inherent dignity of each person is honored and everyone truly belongs.