Allan Building is located at the top of Shell Road. It houses Upper School humanities; the College Counseling Office; private music studios, the Kiplinger Library, including the Naylor Room; Middle School choral music; the offices of the Head of School and Associate Head of School; the Business Office; the Technology Department; and other administrative offices. Allan Building is named in memory of Colonel William Allan, McDonogh’s founding principal from 1873 until his death in 1889. Allan Building, as it stands today, was built in 1929. McDonogh's original Main Building was destroyed by fire in 1928.