It was a beautiful day for the Lower School Closing Ceremony on Friday, May
29 on Childs Memorial Terrace. In addition to celebrating the successful school
year and the fourth graders move to Middle School, it was the final farewell for
Noreen Lidston who is leaving her post as the Head of Lower School.
Before certificates were given to the fourth graders, Mrs. Lidston read some
of the Class of 2023’s favorite memories of their time in Lower School and then
she shared their advice for those coming behind them. Among their words of
- Tuck in your shirt.
- Tie your shoes.
- Don’t lean back in your chair or you will get it taken away.
- Do your homework and turn it in.
- Try your best.
- Be a good friend.
- Be respectful to teachers.
- Don’t be mean.
- When you need help, ask for it.
- Never give up.
Other bits of advice included:
- If a teacher gives you a hint on a test, use it, even if you don’t know
- Don’t wear a bikini on AquaPalooza Day.
- You should have fun every day, even at school.
- Never get stressed about homework. When you get stressed you just shut
down your brain and that does no good.
- When your teacher tells you to bring your bathing suit in for the PE unit on
swimming, you should bring it because if you don’t you will have to wear a lost-
- Be optimistic. If you are optimistic, you will not get sad and you won’t get
angry. You are looking on the bright side of things and you will be happy.
- When you get the chance, wear shorts! In the Middle School, you aren’t
allowed to wear shorts. If you don’t wear them, you’ll regret it. Trust me!
- Be careful of what you say on Google Chrome.
- Always be ready to learn, and make sure you have money for the Bake Sale.
- Every year, cherish the Math Carnival because in Middle School you don’t
have it any more. So try new foods every time so you will have tried everything!
- If you are going into fourth grade next year, then you are going to be a
leader. Remember that with great respect comes great responsibility.
After receiving hugs from their teachers the soon-to-be middle schoolers
celebrated their completion of Lower School by ceremoniously tossing their
blazers in the air.