||Donor Relations Marketing Specialist
||Director of Development
The Donor Relations and Marketing Specialist will help create and implement fundraising-specific marketing materials and donor-centered development strategies to support the school’s general fundraising initiatives. The Specialist will be integral to the effort to grow the stature, reach, and effectiveness of McDonogh’s fundraising initiatives with its various constituents.
The Specialist collaborates with the Director of Communications and members of the Communications Department to ensure institutional and philanthropic messaging is aligned. Specifically, the Donor Relations and Marketing Specialist will collaborate with the Development and Communications staff on individual and group donor marketing strategies and materials that are focused on the donor prospect audience. The Specialist will also leverage formal and informal market research, emphasizing talking to our constituents 1:1 and in groups, seeking a more differentiated understanding of who our donors are (and are not), their core motivations, and how to position and package our offerings to best match their goals. The Specialist’s overriding priority will be to develop and maintain a positive relationship between Development and our donors, across all messages and media.
The Specialist understands the nature of fundraising in all forms, from direct marketing for annual giving to the customization of major gift proposal development. Additionally, the Specialist will use data and analytics to inform the development of strategies.
- Coordinate with the Director of Development, the Director of Communications, and the Associate Director of Development to develop and implement strategic communications and donor relations initiatives in support of philanthropic priorities, including the Legacy Campaign and the McDonogh Fund among other efforts.
- Provide vision, creativity, and leadership for all fundraising messaging and materials, as well as donor relations.
- Provide direction and support to the Development team in the areas of individual/group donor-centered marketing strategies that will result in increased participation and major gifts to the school.
- Serve as the liaison to, and partner with, the Communications Department in developing all print, web, email, and social media projects for the Development Department to ensure message alignment, clarity, consistency, and quality.
- Engage with the Campaign Steering Committee and the Development Committee to provide strategic direction and insight for all donor appeals.
- Serve as the primary writer for the Development team. Proofread and edit all development pieces prior to being sent out to ensure message alignment, clarity, consistency, and quality.
- Conduct and support market research activities to determine appropriate marketing strategies for the school’s fundraising priorities.
- Coordinate and maintain relationships with the Communications Department and external campaign consultants to produce and deliver campaign communications materials.
- Maintain the master development project calendar with the Communications Department and communicate regularly with the Director of Communications and the Creative Director to keep projects on track.
- Attend Communications Department staff meetings to ensure thorough knowledge of communications, marketing, and branding strategies.
- Responsible for photography for development events and donor publications.
Recommended Employment Qualifications
Must have a college degree and at least 3-5 years professional experience in fundraising communications and donor relations.
- Must have experience creating and implementing donor campaigns, both large and small.
- Must have experience using traditional and digital media tools and demonstrated use of data and analytics to inform decision-making throughout their work.
- Must have proficiency with the Microsoft Office and Google suite of products as well as project management/scheduling programs.
- ALL CANDIDATES MUST PROVIDE 2 WRITING SAMPLES - 1 of a creative nature, and 1 oriented around fundraising or donation solicitation.
- Keen attention to detail and exceptional organizational skills; ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects simultaneously and work calmly under pressure of deadlines.
- Must be able to comply with background check, including finger prints, as required by the agency and / or state regulations.
- Must have 3-5 years of photography and video experience
- Must have ability to work in a diverse environment and inclusive culture that values and respects difference across race, ethnicity, religion, and orientation or identity.
- Must have exceptional verbal and written communications skills; stellar grammar and proofreading skills, strong creative writing abilities.
- Strong interpersonal skills, diplomacy, and flexibility in finding solutions to problems.
Evening, weekend, and Holiday hours may be required. Lifting and carrying of equipment is not typical, but may be required on rare occasions. Lifting up to 25 pounds. Must be willing to travel as needed to represent the School. Significant computer use, including extensive close use of a computer monitor. Sitting. Standing. Walking around campus.
If you are interested in applying for this opportunity, please submit your cover letter, resume, and letters of reference to Kerry Johnston at email@example.com. Any questions you may have regarding this position can also be directed to Janet Graham, Human Resources Manager at 443-544-7060 or firstname.lastname@example.org.