Middle School Band Teacher
McDonogh School seeks a highly qualified, collaborative, and student-focused teacher to lead its middle school band/orchestra program. The School places an extremely high value on the role of the arts in a comprehensive education, and the successful candidate will be expected to balance his or her commitment to the arts program while understanding its role in a rigorous liberal arts curriculum.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualities:
- an unwavering passion for teaching children and to supporting the needs they have as they learn and grow;
- a passion for introducing the world of music to children;
- an ability to teach beginners and advanced players with patience and with enthusiasm;
- a genuine intention and ability to work in collaboration with colleagues on various programs that support the school’s mission;
The ideal candidate will possess the following credentials and abilities:
- an degree from an accredited conservatory or school of music;
- strong knowledge of band and orchestra repertoire, music history, music pedagogy, and best practices in middle school instrumental/music curricula;
- a commitment to advancing the necessity of the arts in education and to engaging in broad discussions about teaching and learning across the curriculum (including, but not limited to, project- and problem-based learning; comprehensive assessments; arts integration);
- an ability to support cross-disciplinary and collaborative endeavors in the curriculum and in the co-curriculum;
- administrative skills to manage program budgets, instrumental music rentals, music acquisition, and additional program-related tasks;
- an ability to serve as music director for school musicals is a plus;
- excellent oral, written, and electronic skills;
- to support and celebrate the school’s mission;
- to prepare yearly concerts and items for public programs and events;
- to be deliberately collaborative and supportive of colleagues and students;
- to serve as an advisor to middle school students and to fulfill the expectations of the middle school and its division head;
- to be available for occasional rehearsals and events that may take place on the weekends and in the evenings;
The middle school band/orchestra teacher will report to the Middle School Division Head and to the Director of Fine & Performing Arts; he or she will also be expected to be an enthusiastic partner with the upper school band/orchestra and strings teachers.
A competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience.
A cover letter, curriculum vitae, and list of references should be sent to Kevin J. Costa, Director of Fine and Performing Arts, McDonogh School, PO Box 380, Owings Mills, MD 21117. You may also send materials by email: email@example.com.
Middle School Social Studies Teacher
McDonogh School is seeking a sixth grade Social Studies teacher (focusing on Ancient Civilizations) to begin in August, 2013. The teacher should demonstrate the ability to work closely and collaboratively with members of the sixth grade team as well as the full faculty of the Middle School. Additionally, the teacher is expected to communicate with parents in ways that are timely, professional, and effective. Additionally, the teacher is expected to be invested in his/her own professional development and demonstrate a commitment to remaining a lifelong learner. Please contact Mr. Darren Ford, Head of Middle School with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upper School English Teacher - Part Time
McDonogh School is seeking an energetic and caring individual to teach English part-time in the Upper School.
The ideal candidate will:
- be able to inspire and engage our students in the study of English.
- have experience teaching English at the Upper School level.
- be able to teach a wide variety of literature.
- be comfortable teaching writing as process, with an emphasis on analytical
- demonstrate commitment to working collaboratively with colleagues.
The position will be available in August, 2013. Interested individuals should send a
cover letter and resume to: Cynthia Cox, Upper School English Department Chair,
McDonogh School. P.O. Box 380, Owings Mills, Maryland 21117-0380 or email@example.com.